For my research i decided to look into music videos of all genres and by loads of different directors. This enabled me to gain an insight into how my video should look and also gave me an image of the video i wanted at the end. I looked into different artists and then i did a case study into Cheryl Cole and her videos and another artist i looked at a lot in class and out of class was Madonna, and how her videos changed over time. I then did a case study on a director called Michel Gondry and the videos that he has directed.
Whilst looking into these videos i tried to pick up on as many of the codes and conventions that i could so i could gives these ideas to the rest of the group and maybe include them into our own music video. As a class we looked at Andrew Goodwins theory about music videos and wanted to follow this theory as closely as i could.
I then decided to look at a range of different digi paks ranging in size and genre. Whilst doing this i took notes on what I though was a good idea to include into my own digi pak, for example, a booklet of lyrics and photos. After looking into these i created a rough draft on A3 paper and wrote other ideas down on the paper for when it came to actually creating it.
Once Miss had handed out the briefs to the class me and my group thoroughly went through them and worked out what we thought we could do well and what we thought we would struggle with being a group of four girls. After we had chosen to do Lucy Star, Girls Just Wanna Have Fun me Lauren and Kirstie created a mood board and cut out things from magazines we wanted to include in our video. this included colours, images of wags, etc. From this we decided to brainstorm ideas that we thought as a group we could create and that we could create to a good standard.
We then had to create an audience profile for our artist Lucy Star. Our audience profile consisted of teenage/young adult girls. We felt this was right as we wanted our video to be girlie and upbeat. We also choose this as in the brief it said Lucy Star had made it to the judges houses on the x factor which is a show that appeals more to females.
Once we had our initial idea we created our story board which we then took photos of and turned into an anamatic. These moving images gave us n idea of what the final piece would look like. The next thing we needed to plan is where and when we was going to film and where or how we would get the props needed. Throughout this process i kept a journal on my blog so that we could look back and see the process coming together. However, after shooting and editing we felt that the video was not to a good enough standard and was very confusing to follow, this is also what our feedback had said. Due to this we decided to reshoot the whole film and crate a whole new idea.
I personally felt that this was the most rewarding and satisfying part of the whole process. This is because after all the hard work we had put in over the past months we could finally start to see our project coming together. As a group we enjoyed this part of the process and luckily there was no arguments or disagreements although some people was more out spoken than others.
when filming in the different locations we came across some troubles like the fact that once the tripod was up in the costume room there was then little room to move and dance about. Also at Lauren's house for the split screen we had to think about where to place the camera so we was all in the same position. However. as a group we sorted out any minor problems that we had and overall worked well through them. We used the song for us three to lip sync to which helped alot and during the dancing scene Lauren was dancing around behind the camera helping us which we all felt helped.
Whilst we was editing the first time none of us really knew how to use final cut pro so we just used i movie and its what we felt comfortable using. However, the second time round Me Lauren and Kirstie had been shown how to edit in final cut pro so we used that instead to gain a better quality. We also managed to add some effects, for example, we included two split screens and we had the titles on the video. we also had to slow down and speed up some parts as i was "applying" my mascara quicker than the other was doing their hair. All of this added to the quality of our music video and we felt alot happier with how it was looking.
When I was creating my digi pak and poster i used adobe photoshop. I already knew how to use photoshop as i had studied media for three previous years, this helped me with my digi pak and poster as i knew how to do a lot of things on there. Once i had made the adjustments to my digi pak and poster i posted them onto my blog along with work that i had created along the way.
Overall i am pleased with how we worked as a group and i enjoyed working with them on this video. I feel that there are certain things we could have done better for example being more equal and not having one dominant person within the group. I personally feel that I delayed alot of the process due to having a few days of due to illness, but the girls tried their hardest to work around that. I don't think that i would change anything as i have enjoyed this process and enjoyed working with the girls. If i had to change one thing it would be to never have thought of the run way idea, so that we would have had more time working on the sleepover idea which i enjoyed more and felt is much better quality.